Homemaker services offer direct and practical assistance with household tasks and related activities. Homemaker services assist the client who has experienced a loss in the ability to perform the instrumental activities in daily living to remain in a safe, clean and healthy home environment.
Instrumental Activities of Daily Living
Instrumental Activities of Daily Living refers to certain daily tasks (light housework, preparing meals, taking medications, shopping for groceries or clothes, using the telephone, and managing money), which enable clients to live independently in their community.
DMV Home Support LLC provides Homemaker services to individuals in their own homes and communities, who need assistance caring for themselves as a result of old age, sickness, disability and/or other inflictions.
Homemaker services include, but are not limited to, the following:
conducting routine housekeeping activities such as:
- making/changing beds;
- washing dishes, pots, pans and utensils;
- cleaning kitchen counters, cupboards and appliances, including oven, and stove top burners;
- cleaning inside refrigerator;
- gathering up trash from inside the home and putting it out for pick up;
- cleaning bathroom fixtures;
- sweeping/vacuuming and scrubbing floors;
- vacuuming carpets and upholstery;
- washing inside windows and cleaning blinds that are within reach without climbing;
- doing laundry and ironing;
- mending clothes;
- teaching/performing meal planning and preparation;
- cleaning up after meals;
- assisting with special, written diet plans and reinforcing diet maintenance, which is provided under the direction of a Physician;
- escorting or transporting clients to medical facilities, errands, shopping and outings;
- shopping for essential items on client’s behalf such as groceries and cleaning supplies;
- performing errands such as picking up medication and posting mail;
- providing companionship, friendship and emotional support;
- reading essential material to illiterate clients;
- assisting clients with communication by writing or typing correspondence;
performing optional homemaker services, which are short-term, intermittent tasks necessary to maintain a clean, safe, healthy, and habitable home environment including:
- doing heavy cleaning (washing walls, windows, stoves and woodwork);
- cleaning closets, basements and attics to remove fire and health hazards;
- cleaning/shampooing and securing rugs/carpets;
- spraying for insects within the home with over-the-counter supplies;
- providing rodent control within the home e.g. setting traps; and,
- replacing light bulbs, fuses, electrical plugs, and frayed cords.
Homemaker services shall not include any hands-on or Personal Care activities.
The tasks to be performed by Home Care Workers are non-medical in nature and do not require clinical judgment.